Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Another Stupid Question???????

As i said probably a silly question, but i am planning a trip to Samui next year, could anyone tell me if there will be a difference in weather if was to go last couple of weeks in May (23rd-2nd june) or if we were to go in the middle - end of June (12th - 26th) trying to plan the trip for the most sunshine!!!





Probably a ridiculous question but you know what they say ';the only silly question is the one you dont ask!!!';





Also does anyone have an opinion of whether to go to Bangkok for a few days before coming to Samui or after on our way home?





Thanks



Kim



Another Stupid Question???????


Weather pretty much the same.The other part is very easy if your planning on doing a lot of shopping then Bangkok is best done last



Another Stupid Question???????


Agree with Jamie though I%26#39;d go with the middle of June probably as central/south Thailand can be quite wet in May. When I lived in Japan and was coming to Thailand on a two-three week hol, I found a couple of days at the beginning and a couple at the end worked well.




In Bangkok I meant (idiot Gas!).




Hi Kimboo



We are going the last 2 weeks of June as well. Looks like the weather should be pretty good at that time. Went to Phuket same time last year and had a week of solid rain!! Paid extra for Eva Air premium economy last year for the extra legroom, however, I didn`t think it was worth the extra money, also it flies out of Heathrow which I find a night mare. This year we are going to go with Qatar airways who get great reviews for their service and are a 5 star rated airline and they fly out of Gatwick. We are taking a day flight which gets us into Bangkok early in the morning so we are going to go on to Samui and do our stopover in Bangkok on the way back. We did Bangkok on the way out last year and it is a facinating place. We booked a private tour for the day with a guide and it was fantastic and great value, its the only way to do all the must see`s in one hit. The guide we used was called Tong and she will take you whereever you want and is very well informed on all there is to see. ( I can supply her e`mail address if you like)We stayed in the Sheraton Grand Sukhumvit and it was simply fantastic and very central. As we have done all the sights before this time we are stayiing at the Bangkok Marriott Resort and Spa which is on the river and friends have said it is fantastic also. Any idea where you are going to stay in Samui? I have my choices down to a shortlist of 3, Central Samui beach resort (being refurbed at the mo), Kandaburi resort (new hotel with huge rooms) or Zaren Bungalows (new boutique resort). I don`t plan to firm up my booking until January so I will keep watching the reviews til then. Used Travelmood last year and they were excellent, I will probably use them again this year. If I can be of any more help let me know and I will send my e`mail address.




Hi Paddy On Tour!!!





thanks for your post, a lot of help actually, was originally intending to go to Thiland in May, but have read in a couple of different placed that there is a mini rainy season in may? dont suppose you have an idea if this is true? I am leaning more towards June because of this ( as you can probably tell, i am a bit of a sun worshiper!!!!)





The Tour you took with Tong, what did you see in Bangkok? Did you go and see the bridge over river kwi??



Also did you go to the weekend market?? How long did you stay in Bangkok last time? would you say three days is enough?





We have a couple of ideas for accommodation in Samui, first choice at the moment is Baan Chaweng Resort and Spa, good reviews on here!! but the same as you will probably not be booking anything untill late Jan so will probably change my mind ten times before then!!!




Hi Kimboo



All my research (quite extensive) suggests that June has less rainfall than May and I have no intention of being caught like last year!! Like you I love the sun. Just think that you have the whole summer in London town to flash your tan and keep it topped up. I lived there for 16 years and really miss the weather, I now live in the wettest part of Northern Ireland (the Lakes) and I am desperate for sun come the summer!!



On Tongs tour we picked our own itinerary and did the Grand Palace, Reclining Budda, Emerald Budda, Wat Po, long boat trip through the canals and waterways (facinating) had a great lunch in between then she took me shopping as I was looking for some specific items. She will take you wherever you want but I have to say that once you have done the main temples you start glazing over, I like a bit of culture but there can be overkill. Depends on whats your thing really. Best thing is to get a guide book and pick out all ythe things you want to see!!



Did the weekend market!! it is huge! hubby was ready to commit hari kiri after about 4 hours. You can get the skytrain to this. Patpong night market is great and allows you to use your days for sightseeing/sunbathing.



Didn`t do River kwai last time and am in two minds as to whether we will do it this time as it takes 3 hrs to get there and 3 hrs back! Also I watched a video diary of some guys trip and feel as if I have been already and to be quite honest unless you are a real history buff I am not sure if its worth it there really isn`t that much to see ,I`d rather spend the time shopping/sunbathing. There are loads of other sights to see and it is so cheap to get around the city in a taxi, a couple of quid takes you a long way!



I will probably book Tong again this year and make up my own itinerary. There is a great map that everybody recommends for sightseeing restarants/bars etc; I am going to order one this year it is called the Nancy Chandler Guide and can be bought on the internet.



Did you look at the Travelmood.com website? they are doing a really good offer on the Baan Samui and they can arrange for a stop in Bangkok as well. If you have never been before I would recommend 3 days that way you get to do a bit of everything. Pick a really good hotel in Bangkok (push the boat out to 4 or 5 star) you will be amazed, the hotels are fantastic and everyone treats you like a VIP. It is the best opportunity to stay in a world class hotel at a price you will not get anywhere else in the world!! Bangkok Marriott Resort and Spa are doing really good deals in June.



Sorry to waffle on so much (its a paddy thing), if you want any more info let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment