Saturday, April 21, 2012

Avoid Bangkok?

We are visiting with 2 teenage children in December. Arriving late at night. I am thinking that instead of going to Bangkok before Koh Chang I would be better off going to Ayuthaya or Kanchanburi straight from the airport and not going in to Bangkok at all.I would spend one day and two nights there and then get a car to Tratt. I have not been to Bangkok and am beginning to wonder if I would feel the loss of it. We will also visit Chiang Mai later in our holiday. Do we need to see the big city of Bangkok for the river tours and the Grand Palace?



Avoid Bangkok?


I think Bangkok is either a place you love or hate. Personally I wouldn%26#39;t miss spending some time in this city on a trip to Thailand.





I love the buzz of the place. The sights, sounds and smells, it really is an attack on your senses. Spend a couple of days here you might be pleasantly surprised.



Avoid Bangkok?


You need to consider that the trip to Kanchanaburi will most probably take 2 1/2 - 3 hours from the airport, this would be quite a chore late at night after a long flight.





As for the tours you mentioned I can%26#39;t comment but I would be happy to miss out on this city.




Hi





In my opinion Bangkok is one of the most fascinating cities in the world :-) Yes, there might be a lot of noise, traffic, pollution etc...but it is still a city worth visiting for a day or two. My wife and I have stopped by Bangkok on vacation twice..she enjoys it because it is also a shoppers paradise :-) Don%26#39;t miss out on Bangkok.





Regards



Gard




Hi,





I have to agree with the previous posts, you either love or hate Bangkok, we would never miss it and we visit twice a year to Thailand, it%26#39;s such a buzz, but I%26#39;d recommend staying on the river the hotels on the river are like and oasis in a hectic city, can highly recommend the Marriott Resort %26amp; Spa.





Enjoy your trip.





Julie




Coming to Thailand and not seeing Bangkok, is, in my humble opinion, like going to a great Indian restaurant, and ordering fish%26#39;n chips. Yes, there is pollution, (remarkably noticable by its absence in the ';cool season';, i.e., from now till January.). I say, unequivocally, that you would regret not spending those couple of days here by opting for K%26#39;Buri or Ayu -save that for your next visit!





All the best,





B.Gas




The grand palace, reclining Budda Temples, the river are all to be seen to be believed. Two days would be pushing it to even see the good delights of Bangkok.





Yes there is pollution but not so bad this time of year and there is terrible traffic, but there is the skytrain and the MRT (Undergroung) to help get round.





The end is as always up to you but you may regret not spending at least 1 or 2 days in Bangkok.





You hit the nail when you mentioned two very good tourist spots, have a river cruise dinner and or go to the grand palace on the river.





What ever you do you will enjoy your holiday.




We have heard from friends to spend as little time in Bangkok as possible (because of all the big city aspects). However, we decided to spend 5 days there because we are city people. We love Hong Kong and Taipei, as well as NYC. If you%26#39;ve been to other large cities and enjoyed the energy there, I%26#39;d work it into your plans. If you hate the hustle and bustle (generally) and prefer nothing more busy than a pina colada on the beach then take a pass.




It is congested, polluted, grey, etc. but it is also (as others have said) absolutely fascinating. The first time I went, with the jet lag and all I was initially not impressed until I got out and saw the sights.





If nothing else, at least see the Palace and Wat Phra Kaeo and Wat Po -- take a boat ride on the river and ride the Sky Train. The teens might like the MBK Center (5 storey shopping mall) Siam Square is a real teen hangout -- lots of young people and fashions for them there.





Chiang Mai is much more laid back than Bangkok -- it%26#39;s a completely different experience.





I recommend at least a day or two in Bangkok.




Thanks for all your replies. It is really interesting to hear the different views. As a new Trip advisor person it is amazing to hear from so many parts of the world. With only 15 days for Thailand (5 in Koh chang, 3 in Chiang Mai and 4 Kayaking in Phuket) I can imagine that our remaining time could be happily in Bangkok OR Ayutthaya and we%26#39;ll just have to choose. Being a city person I appreciate the pro city advice. If anyone thinks Ayutthaya is unmissable Id love to know.






Avoid Bangkok. Avoid Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment