Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Private bookings - No travel agents????

Hi Guys,





Anyone from Australia do their own flights and accommodation bookings, rather than going through a travel agent?





Would love to know details please... we are thinking of doing this, but feel a bit nervous.





Cheers



Private bookings - No travel agents????


Hi Mumjo,we are going to Phuket in Jan.We booked flights with virgin blue and booked rooms with Asia rooms on line(they were the cheapest).I have confirmed the rooms directly with Hotel so no worries there.Good Luck enjoy



Private bookings - No travel agents????




We always do it ourselves.





Book direct with the hotel but check with sites such as Asia rooms to ensure you get a good price and you do.





Use Webjet to book flights which will give you a range of alternatives and flights.





Beware of travel agents as they will book you on the flights that the airlines are pushing i.e. the empty ones.





I have been told by Travel agents that it is not possible to travel on certain days only to find filghts on web jet at better prices.





Also if you book rooms direct with the hotel you have a better chance of getting any special requirments..




Hi, we have booked our holiday in January ourselves. I found cheap Jetstar flights which were $2000 cheaper than what our travel agent quoted us for on Singapore airlines. We are staying in two different hotels. Allamanda Laguna, which we booked through our travel agent because it was the same price (although he first quoted us $1000 more until I told him I%26#39;d got a quote direct from the hotel and then all of a sudden he could do the same price!) and then we%26#39;ve booked the Pacific Club and Spa at Karon. I booked this direct with the hotel.




Mumjo,





Do it yourself! You wont regret it! I started booking mine through an agent and in the end just did the flights (as they were already booked) and did the rest myself! It will become an obsession!





I found that I could of gotten the Singapore Airlines flights on the internet through their website for the same price as doing it through the travel agent but wanted the 6 week period of booking it before I had to pay for it! I found though that I didnt save anything by booking 6 months ago! I was still able to get the same flights for December through the website a month ago!!





I used www.sawadee.com for my bookings and they are really great... You only pay a small deposit and pay the rest just before you go or to the hotel when you get there... I have since confirmed with all the hotels that they have received my bookings! It is usually slightly cheaper through Sawadee than other websites and the hotel website itself... but I have also booked some places through the hotel websites... always compare the two...





I saved SO much money in terms of accommodation by doing it myself and you find so many great hotels that you wouldnt normally going through a travel agent... most travel agents use the same package hotels!!





Once you know where you want to go and what your budget is come back and let us all know... we can all give recommendations for your budget!





I also have a list of accommodation where I will be staying in December on my website... www.travelblog.org/bloggers/reet - just go to my %26#39;welcome to our Thailand adventure%26#39; blog for some ideas to get you started!!!





Emjay xx




Hello Mumjo



I originally got a quote from a travel agent that included return flights to Phuket and 7 nights accommodation in Phuket nothing more and was heartbroken when he told me the price as my husband and I simply could not afford to do this with our 3 children.



Then a friend suggested I do it myself, I was extremely nervous but after reading all the advice on this forum decided to give it a go.



I booked the flights through flight centre and got a really good price, booked all hotels direct by phone and through their sites and got really good prices and got written confirmation of bookings deposits etc.



To cut a long story short we are leaving in early March for 21 days are spending 9 days in Phuket 4 days in Chiang Mai 4 days in Soppong and surrounds and the last 4 days in Bangkok, I have allowed for internal fares from Phuket to Chiang MaI and some tours even some spending money for each of the children. We have chosen some up market hotels and some mid range and a couple of nights in flashpackers and it all came up at about $400AUD dollars more than the travel agent quoted for the 7 days in Phuket.



My opinion is give it a go, there are so many helpful people on this forum that will give you advise and you will definetely save money!!



I have to agree with Emjay that it becomes addictive!



I have found the cure though when you get back start planning your next trip!




I agree that it%26#39;s often better to book direct as you%26#39;re cutting out the middleman (travel agent) so bound to save money. However, I have been told that travel agents get preferential rates for flights so what you save on the hotel might be lost in higher airfares... am planning to do this myself for our next trip to Phuket in 2007.




Hi Jo





I am not sure about the UK ( I assume it is world wide) but TA%26#39;s USED to get preferential treatment re flights. That has all changed over the past couple of years and you really can do just as well direct with the airline...





I booked Singapore Air thinking I was securing a low cost airfare for $1350 approx with my travel agent... 5 months later I was still able to get the same priced airfare from SA website direct! For a Dec flight too!!





UK may be different but here in Oz I know that it is an issue for travel agents....





Emjay xx

No comments:

Post a Comment